Preparing for a new arrival can be overwhelming – that is of course if you haven’t had a baby crib yet. It’s going to be the first place your baby going to take a nap when he first arrives at home and the only place where he’s going to spend most of his time!
So, you need to find a crib that is comfortable, that looks good, and that – of course – is completely safe. Anything that doesn’t meet all 3 of those standards is simply not worth your time!
When you’re shopping for cribs, things like color and design will jump out at you immediately. However, if you want to make the best purchase possible and avoid baby cribs horror, you need to also be on the lookout for these 4 things:
1. No sharp edges: Even something minor like a corner that isn’t rounded can be a major threat to a baby who doesn’t know how to handle it. Make sure you go over every inch of your potential crib, looking for things that could be hazards. If any portion of the crib looks like it can hurt your little one, stay away from it!
2. Have at least one stabilizing bar: A stabilizer bar is what keeps the crib’s mattress firmly in place. If the stabilizer bar gives out – or just isn’t very sturdy, to begin with – the mattress can collapse with your baby inside! Every good crib will come with at least one stabilizer bar. If you can find a crib that has 2 or more, it is well worth any extra money you may have to spend.
3. Constructed with sturdy railings: The railings may be the only thing that keeps a screaming, wiggling, or jumping baby safely in his crib. Take a close look at the railings before you buy any crib. If they can be bend, they are a threat to your baby!
4. No other unessential bars or equipment: Anything that’s not vital to the functioning of your crib shouldn’t be there. After all, an unnecessary bar or railing can be used as a ladder by your baby. Before you know it, your little one might be able to figure out how to use that extra equipment to climb right out of his crib!
So what are the best baby cribs out there?
While there may be a near-endless supply of baby cribs, we have done the legwork for you. After tons of research, we have come up with the . . .
Top 3 Choices of Baby Cribs
1. DaVinci Kalani Convertible Baby Crib
If you’re looking for a traditional crib that comes with modern-day features, this one is perfect for you! With the snap of a few pieces of hardware, the DaVinci Kalani Convertible Baby Crib turns into a toddler bed, a daybed, or even a full-size bed!
But this crib isn’t all about convenience; it’s also incredibly safe. In fact, the entire thing is made out of pine, so it is durable enough to last as long as you need it. Plus, it is sturdy enough for your baby to be tucked into it safely and securely.
And luckily, this convertible crib is made in 5 different colors, so it can work with practically any nursery décor. After pouring through reviews, we found that parents absolutely love these convertible cribs – from the moment they first assembled it, to the moment they handed it off to the next generation.
While the DaVinci Kalani looks like it will cost you a fortune, it’s actually very reasonably-priced – especially when you consider all of the features it comes with. Expect to pay a few hundred dollars, but that investment is also something you can use for years and years.
2. Stork Craft Tuscany 4-in-1 Convertible Crib
Storkcraft is one of the biggest names in nursery furniture, and they do not disappoint with the Tuscany 4-in-1 Cherry Crib.
With its classic espresso finish, this crib is designed to match other Storkcraft items – like rocking chairs and changing tables – so that your nursery looks classy and cozy.
Made out of solid wood and veneer, the Tuscany 4-in-1 Crib is designed to last for a long time. And, in just a couple of minutes, you can transform the crib into a toddler bed, a daybed, or a full-size bed!
As an added benefit, the mattress support system converts to 3 different positions (crib, toddler bed, and daybed), so that your little one will always have the support he needs. For the full-size bed option, you will have to buy a mattress support conversion bar from Storkcraft.
3. Graco Sarah Classic 4-in-1 Convertible Crib
With 4 different colors to choose from, the Graco Sarah Classic 4-in-1 Convertible Crib doesn’t just match other Graco nursery furniture – it also works well in any nursery color scheme!
But there is plenty of substance to add to that style!
Like our other top choices, the Graco Sarah Classic can be used as a crib, a toddler bed, a daybed, and a full-size bed. When it’s used as a crib, it has no drop-side rail, which makes it even safer.
Plus, the Graco Sarah Classic also comes with a 5-year warranty, so you can rest easy knowing that your investment won’t go to waste if something goes wrong!
The only downside to the Graco Sarah Classic?
It doesn’t come with a crib mattress like our other top choices do. Instead, you’ll have to buy it separately. It’s not an expense that will destroy your budget.